Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Reflections on an Untidy Life

I recently read an article from the blog Imperfect Homemaking that really made me think.  The article was all about having a spot for everything in your home.

I know that sounds like such as obvious, simple concept but take a minute to really think about what it means.  I have never lived a lifestyle where there was a place for everything.  I have been blessed to always live in excess.  As a child, my bedroom was usually full of stuff.  I even remember my mother getting fed up with the condition of my room and cleaning it by putting everything in garbage bags and throwing the stuff out.  I never felt deprived after her cleaning binges- I even thanked her once.

It is obvious that I have never lived my life by this simple concept: everything has a home.  I have always just made piles upon piles of stuff.  It has added unnecessary chaos to my life.  As I am gearing up in hopes of a child, it has become clear that my piles of junk must go.  If they don't there will be no place for my kid or his/her stuff!

I am making a commitment to follow by this simple creed.  Everything will have a place.  If it doesn't have a home I need to find one or get rid of it.  If I bring in a new object there needs to be a home for it, otherwise I can't bring it home.  This should help with curbing my shopping, too!

I will take this rule to heart while I'm cleaning out my hot spots.  I'll have to give each piece careful consideration before I decide to keep it.  Wish me luck!

Will you take this pledge with me?

No comments:

Post a Comment