Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Recipe Wednesday

Every Wednesday I share a craft or recipe that I have recently made.  Most of these items are originals, but I will always give attributes when they are due.


This Wednesday I will share with you a recipe that has been sitting in my mind for a while.  It's one of those great fall dinners that just begs to be made on a cold night.  Sausage and sweet potatoes lend it savory and sweet notes, while the herbs give it an earthy quality.
One note- my soup ended up curdling.  I think this was because I let it come to a boil, which usually curdles cream.  It looked kind of gross (hence no pictures), but the taste, texture, and overall creaminess of the soup wasn't compromised at all.


Sausage & Sweet Potato Soup


1lb Italian sausage (I used spicy Italian, but I think sweet would be better)
2 medium sweet potatoes, diced in 1/2 inch cubes
5 c. chicken stock
1 c. half and half cream
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 Tbsp dried rosemary

In a large pot, remove the sausage from its casing and cook until nicely browned, breaking the meat apart as it cooks.  Remove the cooked meat.  Add sweet potatoes and saute in the fat that was rendered from the sausage under the sweet potatoes are browned.  Remove the potatoes and discard the leftover fat.  Return the sausage and sweet potatoes to the pot and add the chicken stock and herbs.  You could add salt and pepper if you'd like, but the sausage already had so much seasoning that I didn't need to add any.  Let soup come to a boil and cook for 20 minutes.  Lower heat and add in half and half.  Heat it gently for 5 minutes or until the soup becomes hot again.

That's it-  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment