Thursday, November 3, 2011

Hot Spot #1: Kitchen Shelves


There is a very specific reason why this is my first hot spot. While these shelves have worked well for the past 2 or 3 years, I'm just not feeling them any more. I am looking forward to painting my kitchen next spring and the industrial look of the shelves won't work with the updated decor (not that they really match now). I have other places I can use these very sturdy shelves, so they won't go to waste.

Besides the look of the shelves, I'm also unhappy about how much space they take up and that there is not closed storage. I entertain frequently and I have to wash all of my glasses every time before my guests arrive because dust settles of the clean glasses. I'm hoping that my next storage solution will be a little more traditional, have closed areas, and take up a little less space. Because I'm downsizing, it will also force me to get rid of stuff I don't use which is an added bonus and the overall goal of cleaning my hot spots.

Luckily, I've decided on just the thing. It's an incredibly dated and ugly, huge buffet.  Come the spring, this will also be painted. I'm not sure what color it'll be painted. I'm thinking I may go all out and paint this in a bright magenta or yellow to accent my teal kitchen and white cabinets. What do you think?

I've always wanted one of these and I am very fortunate to have a ReStore nearby. ReStore is the most amazing store. It is run by Habitat for Humanity so you know you're money is going to a good cause. Most of the furniture in the store is donated, which means excellent quality, older stuff. This cabinet costs $75. I know- what a great deal!!! Anywhere else, a used buffet of this quality and size would cost well over $200.  I'm just hoping it doesn't sell before I can get to the store.

This lovely monster is still big enough to fit most of my stuff, which makes me happy. But, it is definitely smaller so there will be some hard decisions to be made. Sob. But that's my overall goal so I will do my best to purge, purge, purge.

I'll let you know next week how I did, along with before and after pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment